Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Traveling with CLOTH- what I did and how it worked out :)

When DD was 4 weeks old, we traveled "home" (yes we go home a lot, all of our families are there). DD was about 8 pounds and wasn't quite fitting into our hybrids (she's short and they went up to her armpits) so I took all cloth. My brother and his pregnant wife are interested in cloth, so I took an assortment. I brought:
6 prefolds and 3 covers w/ 2 snappis
18 AIO's (bumgenius, thirsties)
6 OS pockets (Bumgenius 3.0)
4 fitteds w/ 1 wool cover
and a handful of disposables for night time.

Everything worked as well as it does at home. No problems there. There is just the logistics of actually "traveling" that need to be worked out. This is what I did:
DD wore a disposable w/ a cover for the first leg of the trip. This eliminated any 4 day old diapers in the batch when we returned. The oldest would be 3 days. If you have access to washing, this can be skipped, but my parents have well water and I didn't want to chance washing at their place and my in-laws have a front loader and I didn't want to deal with that either.
Pack the diaper bag w/ as many diapers as were needed for the time we'd be out. 1 for every hour is my rule. Pack a large wetbag. We use disposable wipes right now (lansinoh) so I brought a pack of them. When we returned to my mom's house in the evening, I emptied the wetbag into the pail liner I had at her place. (It's a zippered one, NO STINK!!) We were gone for 4 days. I had 1 disposable and 1 pocket leftover at the end of the trip. I found myself trying to decide what diapers would be best when...for example:
If we were going to be at the in-laws for 4 hours, I did prefolds w/ covers.
If we were going to be in the car for more than 15 minutes we did pockets etc. This was confusing to me and I decided that next time I needed to simplify things.

As soon as we walked in the door at our own house, I dumped the very full pail liner into the wash and ran the regular wash routine. They were VERY ripe after 3 days but washed totally clean and had no issues.

I used a vera bradley VERA tote for my diaper bag and it worked fine. I'm still looking for the "perfect" bag for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment